Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Scented Homemade Halloween Play Dough

Scented Homemade Halloween Play Dough


(This is a repost, but I just made more of this the other day and it was so fun. So i thought I'd share again) 

Last week when my kids stayed home from school we spent the day making Halloween play dough. 


Here is what you will need to make scented Halloween play dough:

3 Cups of Flour
1.5 ounces of Cream of Tartar
3/4 Cup Salt
3 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
3 Cups of Water
Food Coloring
1 Tablespoon of extra of your choice of scent (We used orange, but you can use vanilla, peppermint, cinnamon, or any other extract that you might like)
Halloween Confetti and/or glitter



Here is how to make it:

1) Combine first five ingredients in a large pot (I did this in a bowl because I wanted to make five different colors. Mixing it in a bowl first allowed me to pour as much into the pot as I wanted for each color). Whisk until free of lumps.


2) Stir in extract and food coloring. Please note, I learned that extract and red food coloring are not a fan of each other and nearly canceled each other out. So I mixed up another batch of red and omitted the extract. Stir this mixture constantly over medium heat until it pulls away from the sides of the pot and forms a large ball.


3) Knead the ball on a lightly floured board until the dough is silky and smooth. (I am sorry you have to look at my EDS hands that bend all funky. I tried to make them bend like a normal person's but my thumb and index finger are too far gone :) and my finger tips bending backwards is called "swan necking." There, you learned something new today ;)).



4) Knead in optional glitter and/or confetti.


5) When play dough has cooled completely it can be stored in a food storage container of bag.


It seemed like it was making a pretty good mess while I was in the process of making it, but it was a quick clean up. Yes, there was flour everywhere, but it wasn't anything one swipe of a towel couldn't pick up. It seems like a mess as you are making it, especially if you try to tackle five colors at once like I did. But really the clean up took less than 5 minutes. But the fun time is endless!!! 





3 comments:

  1. Thank you for making this astounding article, informative and knowledgeable!! We have so much to learn from this. Anyway, If you are interested and looking for
    "curtain fabrication services
    singapore"
    you may visit our website. You can also check our available services to offer. Thank you and More power!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article. Highly recommended. The thoughts are clear and well explained. Thankyou for sharing your work, truly worth reading. On the other hand, if you’re interested in , blinds fabrication, feel free to visit our website. Thankyou and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is very engaging! Amazing piece and is worth reading and sharing. Hoping for more of this kind of work of yours author. Meanwhile. If you are interested and looking for curtain fabrication services Feel free to check and visit our site and look for our affordable items with a very nice quality. Thank you and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete