'Tis the season for my kids to stay home from school all the time because they are s-i-c-k-!!!
Last week when my kids stayed home from school we spent the day making Halloween play dough.
Here is what you will need to make scented Halloween play dough:
3 Cups of Flour
1.5 ounces of Cream of Tartar
3/4 Cup Salt
3 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
3 Cups of Water
1 Tablespoon of extra of your choice of scent (We used orange, but you can use vanilla, peppermint, cinnamon, or any other extract that you might like)
Halloween Confetti and/or glitter
Here is how to make it:
1) Combine first five ingredients in a large pot (I did this in a bowl because I wanted to make five different colors. Mixing it in a bowl first allowed me to pour as much into the pot as I wanted for each color). Whisk until free of lumps.
2) Stir in extract and food coloring. Please note, I learned that extract and red food coloring are not a fan of each other and nearly canceled each other out. So I mixed up another batch of red and omitted the extract. Stir this mixture constantly over medium heat until it pulls away from the sides of the pot and forms a large ball.
3) Knead the ball on a lightly floured board until the dough is silky and smooth. (I am sorry you have to look at my EDS hands that bend all funky. I tried to make them bend like a normal person's but my thumb and index finger are too far gone :) and my finger tips bending backwards is called "swan necking." There, you learned something new today ;)).
4) Knead in optional glitter and/or confetti.
5) When play dough has cooled completely it can be stored in a food storage container of bag.
It seemed like it was making a pretty good mess while I was in the process of making it, but it was a quick clean up. Yes, there was flour everywhere, but it wasn't anything one swipe of a towel couldn't pick up. It seems like a mess as you are making it, especially if you try to tackle five colors at once like I did. But really the clean up took less than 5 minutes. But the fun time is endless!!!