Monday, October 14, 2013

Ask Melissa: Why are there so many types of scissors for sewing?

Ask Melissa:
Why are there so many types of scissors for sewing?
 
This is the first post in our new series, "Ask Melissa." You can send me your questions about anything: sewing, crafting, opinions, cooking, being a working mother, working with family? Whatever you want! And I will present your question to "the board." The board consists of the WTbM team, and I will include all their thoughts and answers in the blog post. We're all moms trying to make help out where we can in our families while being frugal and creative. So tap into our wealth of ideas! And we'd love to hear yours as well in our comments section for everyone to see!
 
This segment was going to be called, "What Would Melissa Do?" With the thought that I would get a lot of questions like, "What would you do with eyelid/half circle window for window dressing?" But I decided WWMD was too similar to the acronym WMD, or Weapon of Mass Destruction. I didn't want to invite the comparison ;)
 
 
So, my first question I got from a read was, "Why are there so many types of scissors for sewing?" Please send me your questions or leave them in a comment here or on FB and look forward to seeing the answers from our "board" in the future.
 
Here are a few scissors that I work with regularly. I use only Gingher brand; it's the best of the best.  (All images are courtesy of my good friends at JoAnn's whom I "borrowed" them from ;)).
 
The set of scissors above are called Gingher Knife Edge Bent Trimmers. These scissors are extremely expensive, but worth it if you do a lot of sewing. And they will last a long time as they can be professionally sharpened as needed. They will cut effortlessly through multiple layers of fabric. The handle is slight bent upward near the joint which is designed to keep the fabric lying flat as you cut.
 
Gingher Pinking Shears have teeth which create a zig zag cut. The zig zag cut creates a ravel resistant edge at seams or other fabric edges. These scissors work best when you cut through just one layer at a time.


These Gingher Bent Trimmers are similar to the ones in the first image. The differences are 1) price. The first set I showed you can cost up to $90.00. These ones run about $20.00 2) Weight. These scissors are lighter in weight. The first set I showed you are heavy. 3) The handle. The handle is easier to grip than the first set with their nylon handles.
These are the scissors that I always give to my seamstresses when I am setting them up with supplies. They last a long time and are very affordable. Gingher is just the best of the best! That's all there is to it :)

These are simple craft scissors. They are used to cut threads, but yarn and other small needlework threads and flosses.

Gingher Thread nippers are one of my favorite scissors to have around. I have a few sets lying around as they are small and get "misplaced" easily. The size of these scissors allows you to cut very close to the fabric without cutting the fabric itself. This is great for leaving no stay threads behind on our products.
 
Why so many types of scissors? Because sewing is very detailed work and requires a tool for each step. If you are only going to buy one set of scissors buy the Gingher Bent Trimmers with the Nylon handles.
 
I've had some of my girls tell me they prefer their own scissors because they are used to using them. Next time you have to buy a new pair, give Gingher a try. You don't even know what your missing. I know you probably think it can't be that much different and you are comfortable with whatever you are using, but I assure you when you try Gingher scissors you will be surprised and not even know what you were missing! So I guess what I am saying is that when it comes to scissors there is a good, better and best. So while you may be using a good pair of scissors, give Gingher a try, because it's the best!!
 
 
Let me know your questions! Leave it here, FB or email me at windowsbymelissa@gmail.com.  I look forward to hearing from you all!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment