Monday, April 16, 2012

Loss of a dear friend

I have been absent from the blogging world this past week. Still not sure I am ready to join again. But I wanted to dedicate a post to my dear friend, Nancy.

For anyone who knows me, you know I have lost ad ear friend every year of my life from the time I was thirteen. Nancy it the most recent, making it two friends for this year. She died last Tuesday night after complications from an appendectomy. I have been beside myself for many reasons. I have been trying to get answers and explanations but a friend informed me yesterday that there are no answers or explanations yet. As an appendectomy is so common this should not have happened. And I have been so sad about that. So sad that there are people in this world that will never get to know the beauty that was Nancy.

Having dealt with death much in my life I understand that when someone passes we tend to only rememebr the good and somewhat glorify the person, which isn't a bad thing. . .  I just bring it up because in thinking about Nancy's life it was glorious and kind and loving. She truly was one of a kind. There will never be another person like her. She was always happy, even tempered, friendly and accepting of everyone, not judgmental. . . Everything that is good in this world was embodied in Nancy.


Nancy on her wedding day, which was recently. She was gorgeous inside and out. When I told my husband on Tuesday night after I received the news the first thing he said, "The poor husband!" And our hearts do go out to him, though we've never met. But I know he had to be incredible to be able to capture Nancy's heart.

Nancy was in one of my recent blog posts title "Mothers, teach your daughters to sew." Some of you may recall the picture I post of the dress my mother made for me for a performance I was in:

Nancy in Red. This was ten years ago.

The memories I have with Nancy are so real they feel like yesterday. I live in Virginia now and was not able to attend her memorial service in Arizona. I don't know if I'll ever feel the closure that I normally receive from attending a funeral or memorial. I can rememebr very clearly she and I messing around and having a good time in choir.

We went on a trip to Atlanta once. She and I had both been, well, I'll say "stalked" for lack of a better word, by the same guy. He was very persistent and often would not leave us alone! When we were in Atlanta we were performing a song by Moses Hogan called, "No hidin' place." On this trip Nancy and I rewrote, or rather just choreographed, the song to be about abstinence :) mostly for us to sing and perform for our stalker friend. I found myself all last week and even today still singing that song and doing our dance moves. All the meories I have with her are very happy ones :) She was such a delightful human being and I am sad for those who will never know and come to understand the beauty that is Nancy.


May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Oh, sweet Nancy. I hope you are at peace in heaven and I hope you have been enlightened with the knowledge of the positive influence you were on all you came in contact with. My life is better because you were apart of it. Thank you, Nancy. And may your blessings in heaven for your good deads on earth be rich and bring you the happiness and peace that you gave to us.

I love you, sweet Nancy. 

1 comment:

  1. My condolences to you! I lost a friend/co-worker last week to cancer. She was only 30! She had the best laugh & although I hadn't seen her recently as our plans were always being cancelled she was a truly beautiful person too. We all have our calling on Earth but sometimes the calling in heaven is stronger.

    ReplyDelete