Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ikat ???

I first encountered Ikat fabric two years ago. I had never really worked with it much. I didn't know what Ikat even meant. I made these roman shades and pillow covers out of Duralee's Kalah in red and ivory.




When I first unrolled this fabric, I thought it was an accident. And by accident I mean someone hit someone with their car, got nervous and rolled the body in some bed sheets that happened to be in the back of the car, and when they went to destroy the evidence thought to themselves, "Hmmm. . . I could sell this print for $50/yard and make mmmmiiillliiiiooonnnsss. . . to buy my way out of prison."

This was two years ago. Also, I have been exposed to many other Ikat patterns and it has begun to grow on me. This one is my favorite that I have been eying the past few weeks from Lynn Chalk's website.


Until recently, I still didn't know much about "Ikat." So here is the jist for you, in case you were wondering.

  •  Ikat is a dying technique similar to that of tie dying. "Binding" is applied to the fibers in the fabric before dying and resist the dye when it is applied causing it to spread. This binding is applied before the fabric is even woven.
  • Ikat is the oldest form of fabric decorating.
  • Ikat literally translated means "to tie" or "to knot."
  • The Victoria and Albert Museum website has the cooloest pictures on the ikat process! Check them out here!  (P.S. I've been to this museum when I went to England in college. Everyone should go if they are in England).
Lynn Chalk carries tons of ikats. Check them out if you are considering an ikat style for your next project.

So, it took a while for Ikat to grow on me. I want to know what you think. Do you like ikat?




No comments:

Post a Comment